HOW TO MAKE A SHORT FILM ON A SMARTPHONE?
Some of the most important moments of life come unannounced and you want to capture all those memories but we don’t always carry a camera to capture everything. But, in this world of smartphones which are getting smarter. We have some tips for you to know how to make short films on your smartphones.
- Homework: Watch and study some videos captured using mobile phones. Once you have finalized the location, see which time of the day offers the best light for your shoot. Study how the subject has been placed for the best effect.
- Storyboard: All great filmmakers think of a storyboard first. There is no thumb rule here, but shooting with a phone has its limitations and one should stick to the work at hand and not get carried away by the surroundings.
- Airplane Mode: Make sure you either remove the SIM card or turn on the airplane mode of your phone. You do not want an incoming call in the middle of a shoot.
- Orientation: Never use a smartphone in portrait mode. Always shoot in the horizontal mode as it not only gives you a better grip on the device but also aligns the video orientation for viewing on the PC or TV.
- Ambiance and lighting: Proper lighting is vital for any video shoot. That is why experts say you should always shoot in bright light. shoot from an elevated angle so that the sky is mostly out of the frame. The sensors used in camera phones are not able to capture drastic variations in light in a single frame. While you can manage good shots outdoors, shooting indoors is trickier, as both low light and high light can be a bit of a spoiler.
- Distance and the object: Zooming in on your subject using the digital zoom on the phone is a big NO if you want to shoot quality video. Instead, you should move closer to the subject, but slowly.
- Basic editing: Once the footage has been captured, you should learn basic editing for your video.